What is Oracle Essbase?
Oracle Essbase is a strong and mature brand like Oracle, Apple, and Intel. Mature companies cannot survive without continued innovation, which is what Oracle has been doing with Essbase since its inception. The Essbase product that Oracle has today still carries the same core values, although its technology is light years away from the one released 20 years back. When it first came to market, Oracle Essbase was the first multidimensional database to introduce capabilities like drill and pivot in Excel that we take for granted today. Over the years, product innovation continued by transforming a departmental solution to Enterprise-grade status with high-speed dynamic aggregation, clustering, and disaster recovery. Oracle Essbase can be classified into four different types based on its release period.
4 Different Oracle Essbase Classifications Based on Release Date
- Excel on Steroid: it was the first Multidimensional database, empowering Business users to read/write through excel to a multidimensional data model
- Enterprise Grade: With the Success of Oracle Essbase, new features like Shared services, Aggregate Storage Engine (ASO), and Advance Excel interface (Smart View) were added, and it became a true enterprise product
- In-Memory: Oracle released in-memory Exalytics machines, capable of running millions of query lines in a matter of seconds, giving users a Pure-in memory experience for adaptive analytics.
- Essbase Cloud: the future, with the release of PBCS and EPBCS, we were hoping to see Oracle Essbase finally moving to the cloud with Java-based architecture, Data visualization, and giving users the power of creating cubes from Excel upload in a matter of seconds
Interaction with OACS for the creation of Oracle Essbase
- CLI (Command Line utility) and LCM (Life Cycle Management)
- upload from Excel
- Design in Excel (DBX and cube designer)
- Java and Rest APIs
- Cloud UI
What is Cube Designer?
- Cube Designer modeling has made the creation of the Oracle Essbase cube very easy.
- Offline development of Oracle Essbase cube is now possible.
- Intuitive CD Wizard can be used to build a cube from Scratch, or an existing template can be used to model a cube
- With Data Transformation capability, you can move from a flat data spreadsheet to an excel cube within minutes.
- With the capability to define hierarchies for both dimensions & Now Measures, alias tables, and Attribute dimensions.
- Cube Designer allows users to set various properties of the application or cube
- Users can also have Calc Scripts and execute them at the build
- Users can include data that needs to be loaded during the cube build