Essbase, like Oracle, Apple and Intel – is a strong and mature brand. Mature companies cannot survive without continued innovation, and this is exactly what Oracle has been doing with Essbase from the day of its inception. The Essbase product that Oracle has today still carries the same core values, although its technology is light years away from the one which was released 20 years back. When it first came to market, Essbase was the first multidimensional database to introduce capabilities like drill and pivot in Excel that we take for granted today. Over the years, product innovation continued by taking a departmental solution and transforming it to Enterprise-grade status with high-speed dynamic aggregation, clustering and disaster recovery. Essbase can be classified into four different types based on the time period it was released.
4 Different Essbase Classifications Based on Release Date:
- Excel on Steroid: it was the first Multidimensional Database, empowering the Business users to read/write through excel to a multidimensional data model
- Enterprise Grade: With Success of Essbase new features like Shared services, Aggregate Storage Engine (ASO), Advance Excel interface (Smart View) were added and it become a true enterprise product
- In-Memory: Oracle released in memory Exalytics machines, capable of running millions of line of query in matter of second, giving users Pure-in memory experience for the adaptive analytics.
- Cloud: the future, with release of PBCS and EPBCS , we were hoping to see Essbase finally moving to cloud with Java based architecture, Data visualization and giving users the power of creating cubes from Excel upload in matter of seconds
Interaction with OACS for creation of Essbase
- CLI ( Command Line utility) and LCM (Life Cycle Management)
- upload from Excel
- Design in Excel (DBX and cube designer)
- Java and Rest APIs
- Cloud UI
What is Cube Designer?
- Cube Designer modeling has made creation of Essbase cube very easy.
- Offline development of Essbase cube is now possible.
- Intuitive CD Wizard can be used to build a cube from Scratch or an existing template can be used to model a cube
- With Data Transformation capability you can move from a flat spreadsheet of data to an excel cube within minutes.
- With the capability to define hierarchies for both dimensions & Now Measures, alias tables, Attribute dimensions.
- Cube Designer allows users to set various properties of the application or cube
- Users can also have Calc Scripts and execute them at build
- Users can include data that needs to be loaded during cube build
About the Author
Shreeram Sharma, EPM Practice Leader and Sr. Solution Architect, Jade Global
Shreeram develops, deploys, and manages Jade Global’s Oracle EPM services. He is an Oracle Certified implementation specialist with 15+ years in technical configuration, design, analysis, delivery and development. Shreeram’s experience in team management, leadership and client relationship management across different platforms helps align our client’s strategic goals with Jade Global’s service offerings. He brings his deep expertise in Oracle Hyperion, Oracle EPBCS/ PBCS, and Oracle FCCS in architecting, leading and creating highly sustainable solutions for our clients.
This post first appeared on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/oacs-future-essbase-here-shreeram-sharma/