Written by: Jenish Parekh | Senior Solution Architect, Analytics & Information Management, Jade Global
Here at Jade Global, we’ve created a culture of transparency that is critical to our mission of ensuring 100% customer satisfaction. We understand that customer time and attention are both scarce resources, so with each service that we provide, we ensure open communication, unparalleled work ethic, and keep all parties informed.
The following success story outlines our customer’s journey from early information gathering, where we learn about their challenges and business requirements, followed by Jade’s solution design, delivery, implementation and beyond. This customer is a midsize innovative service provider in the petroleum industry. Jade ultimately migrated their reporting to Oracle PaaS utilizing an Oracle Business Intelligence Solution, Oracle Analytics Cloud (OAC). However, before we get to the solution, let’s begin with the background story.
About the Customer
This customer delivers real value in the Oil & Gas industry through supplying quality petroleum storage and dispensing equipment, innovative services and dependable construction of fueling sites. They offer environmental consulting, waste solutions services, electrical contracting and industrial coasting. Since the early 1970’s they have operated in the United States Midwest, Southern and Mountain regions.
Before Scenario & Business Requirements
Prior to working with Jade, the customer utilized an on-premise Oracle Business Intelligence (BI) solution for their transactional and analytical reporting needs. They had been using Oracle Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise 11g. (OBIEE) for several years and implemented their own operational and financial reports. Their OBIEE and BI Publisher sourced data from multiple on-premise systems including Oracle JDE, Astea (a field service management software), and other home-grown Microsoft SQL Server-Based ERP systems. To align their enterprise Cloud migration strategy and reduce the total cost of ownership of their enterprise analytics solution, the customer wanted to keep the data warehouse and data sources on-premise (without exposing the data in the public Cloud). Finally, they wanted to migrate the reporting layer to Platform as a Service (Oracle Paas), a set of services to build and manage modern applications on premises or in the Cloud.
The following diagram illustrates the before state of our client’s IT framework. Their Oracle JD Edwards data was visually displayed in Oracle BI Publisher dashboards, while their Microsoft SQL and Astea sourced data through a Microsoft SQL server, into the data warehouse, which was then displayed through dynamic Oracle Business Intelligence dashboards.
Jade Global’s Solution:
After weighing up the project costs, benefits and client requests, Jade approached the customer with a best-fit hybrid Cloud strategy for their enterprise. For the customer to maintain their data and ETL on-premise, we proposed that they only migrate the reporting layer to Oracle Public Cloud utilizing Oracle Analytics Cloud (OAC). To enable the reporting in OAC for the customer, we followed following steps:
- Enable the Oracle DBaaS (Database Cloud Service) instances for Production and non-Production instances
- Enable OAC Production and non-Production instances
- Enable Oracle VPN as Service to secure the tunnel between Oracle Public Cloud servers and the customer’s on-premise VM machines
- Prepare and clean up the on-premise metadata
- Lift and shift on-premise metadata and configurations to OAC
- Test and validate reports, dashboards and security
- Import the metadata from non-Production instance to Production OAC instance
- Perform integration testing for final signoff
The following diagram illustrates the after state of our client’s IT framework
The Benefits and Business Value Delivered
Our customers can attest, when you chose Jade, you are choosing a personalized delivery experience and a rapid return on your investment. We believe in clear and timely communication as well as transparency to ensure all engagements are successfully completed on time. For this client, Jade was able to reduce their overall IT spend by getting rid of ongoing software support fees and eliminating the need for on-premise servers. In addition, our customer reduced 20% of their total cost of ownership after migrating to OAC and moving off of OBIEE. The below list outlines the key benefits of the project:
- OPEX Vs CAPEX: Hybrid Oracle Cloud approach helped the customer move towards CAPEX spending model, by eliminating upfront investment in their business intelligent solution
- Hardware Cost Reduction: By migrating to Oracle Public Cloud, the customer eliminated the need of on-premise servers, and utilized well-tuned Oracle’s PaaS that is specifically configured for reporting and analytics needs
- Software Cost Reduction: When the customer retired on-premise OBIEE footprint, they also got rid of ongoing software support fees, and utilized the latest and greatest Oracle BI features like data visualization, integration with Essbase Cloud, ad hoc data preparation etc.
- Maintenance Cost Reduction: Due to Oracle’s “Cloud First” strategy, OAC (PaaS) receives all the new features and updates even before it’s available to on-premise solutions like OBIEE
- Lower TCO: Overall, our customer could reduce 20% of the total cost of ownership by migrating to OAC and retiring on-premise OBIEE footprint
About Jade Global’s Oracle Partnership
Jade Global is a Cloud-focused integration, consulting & IT outsourcing Oracle Platinum Partner. Our services include implementations, upgrades and custom development on the Oracle SOA suite. With more than 800 employees & 250+ cloud certified professionals, Jade has successfully delivered cutting edge solutions for Oracle Cloud Financials, Supply Chain (SCM), Human Resources (HCM), Warehouse Mangement (WMS), Project Management (PM), Hyperion, EPBCS, OACS, OBIEE & Database Services across diverse industries. Our industry-focused ERP and BI Software solutions improve visibility across entire enterprises in Hi-Tech, Manufacturing, Distribution, Hospitality and more.
For more information and to better understand Jade Global’s offerings in migrating to Oracle PaaS/SaaS, please contact Info@jadeglobal.com or call us directly at 1 877-523-3448