Client - Riverbed Technology, Inc.
Industry - Information Technology
About the Client
Riverbed Technology, Inc. is an American Information Technology company focused on network performance monitoring, application performance management, edge computing, Wi-Fi, and wide area networks (WANs). Founded in 2002, the company has served more than 30,000 customers including those on the Forbes Global 2000 list. It is headquartered in San Francisco, California.
For Riverbed to be able to fully utilize the new features and interface presented by Salesforce Lightning, a conversion from classic was needed. Salesforce will eventually plan to stop support of Salesforce Classic and hence moving to Lightning as soon as possible is an intelligent infrastructure transition that will allow Riverbed to continue to operate with support as well as prevent itself from generating additional technical debt in Salesforce Classic.
Additionally, due to the complexities of Riverbed’s existing system architecture, conversion from Classic to Lightning includes several iframes, custom buttons and Visualforce pages that see through to other enterprise systems in place. These will all need to be addressed to ensure that they can be used effectively after the transition to Lightning.
Lastly, to add additional value to the conversion, layout changes need to be processed and a custom lightning component will need to be created for a Knowledge section. The layout changes allow the large array of user groups to be able to perform all current functions in a more efficient manner. Creation of the custom lightning component has the intent to allow easier access and utilization of knowledge articles for support representatives handling cases.
Overall, the need to reduce creation of new technical debt as well as utilize the new features and UI of Salesforce Lightning in the most efficient manner were the challenges that were presented.
- Transition to Salesforce Lightning to be correctly positioned for additional business growth and support of IT initiatives
- Compartmentalization of lengthy pages needed to be reorganized into tabs and sub tabs to reduce time to find required information
- Custom buttons and several Visualforce pages need to be optimized or converted to display and perform correctly in Lightning
- Development of a lighter Lightning knowledge component to interface with existing Oracle knowledge database and display knowledge information easily for users
- Dynamic content change based on a specific asset
- Extremely stringent timelines for project deliverables
- Large number of user groups (approximately 20) that needed to be individually addressed to gather business needs and participate in UAT to ensure seamless change management
- Business teams were used to using either the Service Cloud app or the Service Console in classic, but the selection was purely based on a user’s individual preference
Products & Services
- Salesforce Sales Cloud ®
- Salesforce Service Cloud ®
- Salesforce Service Console
Project Scope Focused on Converting Existing Functionality
Many companies these days are making a transition from Salesforce Classic to Lightning as an organization wide initiative. Several challenges are presented during transition depending on an organization’s existing use cases and complexity. Riverbed has an extremely mature instance of the Salesforce platform and has been working with a variety of complexities ranging from highly customized Visualforce pages, custom buttons, AppExchange products and more. The purpose of this transition for them was to be able to embrace and utilize the new features offered by Salesforce Lightning out of the box with minimal new customizations. Additionally, their goal was to be able to provide more robust and modern experience for their users, enabling them to more efficiently handle business and interactions with their customers.
- Perform detailed readiness and compatibility analysis of existing systems
- Conduct workshops with all business units to socialize and gather inputs for lightning conversion
- Implement compatibility and high priority changes across entire organization
- Implement a robust Service Console for Global Support Operations
- Support design and advisory for collaborative forecasting
- Create and support implementation of change management plan