Products & Services
- Oracle Business Intelligence Foundation Suite (BIFS)
- Oracle Business Intelligence Cloud Service (BICS)
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE12c) Oracle Data Visualization (DV)
Client - The Pep Boys
Industry - Service and Retail, Automotive
Founded in 1921, Pep Boys is a leading automotive aftermarket chain. They provide full-service automotive maintenance, repairs and serve the commercial auto parts delivery market. Pep Boys operates more than 9,000 service bays in 1000 stores nationwide and is headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Fix issues with existing Hyperion (Oracle EPM) Solution
- Develop a cost-effective solution to replace existing system
- Reduce number of resources required for reporting and analytics
- Coordinate multiple data sources- Oracle EBS, MS Dynamics and HR datasheets
- Three enterprise-wide reporting tools not meeting requirements (IR/Brio, Web Analysis, and FR)
Finding a Hyperion Replacement
After a major Hyperion update in 2012, Pep Boys began experiencing performance issues. They toyed with the idea of migrating to competitive products like IBM Cognos, but IBM was too costly and impractical. As a growing start-up, Pep Boys needed a cost-effective, practical solution to replace their existing Hyperion system.
Pep boys was looking for a qualified Oracle partner in the BI space who could weave their multiple data sources together. Although three enterprise-wide reporting tools were already in use, actual reporting requirements were not met. They needed a structured database that could provide hierarchy-based, fully customizable reports.
The management team at Pep Boys heavily depended on performance reports from hundreds of retail outlets to develop future store plans. However, the existing system left Philadelphia-based decision makers with limited visibility into operations and the actual state of retail outlets. Pep Boys was looking for a mobile-friendly solution that could fetch underlying data into their systems and present data in an interactive, clean format.
- Existing Hyperion Essbase on AIX server not delivering expected performance
- Report creation and maintenance was time-consuming
- Data extraction and analysis was Excel-based, manual and time consuming
- Redundant Ad-hoc queries and inability to do Ad-hoc reporting
- System missing crucial end-user features for reports and dashboards:
- Missing GUI features
- Missing Drill-down functions for detailed viewing
- Not mobile compatibility and outdated look and feel of reports
- Poor performing web analysis reports impacted stores nationwide
- Tedious process for HR to retrieve payroll reports
- Inability to flow transactions into consolidated financial statements
- Poor system performance while retrieving income statements
- Background ETL processes hindered performance
Time-Consuming and Inaccurate Report Performance
Pep Boys was operating over 800 stores across the US at the time Jade Global began customer engagements. Every Pep Boys store used a Hyperion Essbase system on AIX servers. However, the system was not delivering expected levels of performance after a major upgrade. There were several issues that could not be resolved by the internal IT team. For instance, data fetched from Hyperion Essbase was different from actual store data. This was due to multiple applications (Oracle EBS for ERP, MS Dynamics as CRM, and HR data sheets) being loosely integrated and disconnected. As a result, data extraction processes were not only time-consuming, but inaccurate. Decision makers couldn’t seem to get an accurate picture of their stores’ overall performance.
Every end-user at Pep Boys was impacted in some way by their Hyperion system’s poor performance. Managers, area directors, division directors, corporate IT members, human resource professionals, and executives, were heavily impacted. For example, HR executives at Pep Boys had a hard time retrieving payroll reports from the system.
For reporting and analysis, Pep Boys stores were using three different tools; IR (Brio), Web Analysis, and FR. However, these tools were missing crucial dashboard, GUI, and end-user features for reporting. The report creation and maintenance processes were time-consuming; reports were not being created on multiple Essbase cubes like they should have been. Fetching daily sales and analysis reports at the store level was an extremely slow process. The system was incapable of providing a clear picture of the flow of transactions in financial statements. Moreover, it was unable to create ad-hoc reports.
Pep Boys’ data analysis process was Excel-based, manual and tedious. There was no central repository to extract information across stores. A background ETL process was in place for data filtering, but it hindered performance. As a result, evaluating sales numbers and planning sales targets became another major challenge for Pep Boys.
- Jade Global implemented Oracle BIFS, migrating multiple Hyperion reporting systems into one integrated platform (Oracle BI) using prebuilt migration utilities
- Advanced BI features like mobile compatibility, map-based analysis, interactive dashboards, and administration tools
- Redesigned the system with role-based security
- Replicated all old reports into BICS dashboards
- Migrated manual excel processes into BICS dashboards
- Housed all company reports in one central storage system on the Cloud
Migration into One Integrated Business Intelligence Platform
The management team at Pep Boys had a clear vision for future growth. They wanted a reporting tool that provided performance visibility into store levels, state levels, and region levels. Jade transformed Pep Boys’ operations by delivering a high performing IT Solution at a lower total cost of ownership.
After investigating problems in their system, Jade Global recommended an Oracle BIFS (Oracle Business Intelligence Foundation Suite) implementation. As part of the implementation, Jade migrated multiple Hyperion reporting systems into one integrated platform (Oracle BI) using pre-built utilities. Oracle BIFS is a best-in-class platform with ad-hoc query and analysis, interactive dashboards, map-based analysis, enterprise reporting, and mobile analytics. The solution’s multiple administrative tools helped Pep Boys make real-time decisions for any type of customer interaction. This transformed Pep Boys’ entire planning process.
All data from Pep Boys retail stores was migrated to a central repository. Manual Excel processes were transferred to Oracle Business Intelligence Cloud Service (BICS). BICS presents data in interactive, user-friendly dashboards that can be easily interpreted by non-technical users. The new system was equipped with role-based security and provided more transparency in user roles. With improved insights, decision makers at Pep Boys were able to see local store attributes such as pricing, promotions, order management, and vendor management. With the help of BI features, managers at Pep Boys can quickly and easily share periodic sales bulletins and purchase orders from any retail store, at any point in time. Decision makers and store managers are now set up to plan for the future and create more accurate, realistic targets.
Performance and Productivity Improvements
Jade Global delivered a flexible solution that aligned with Pep Boys’ business model. At the corporate level, the solution provided visibility for decision makers. At the store level, there was enhanced transparency. Overall, the new system helped decrease response time by 50% and increase user productivity by 60% in the entire organization. Reporting retrieval time increased by 60%. Oracle’s Business Intelligence solutions make it possible for critical information to be easily and readily available to decision makers. Following the implementation, Jade Global provided ongoing support for Pep Boys. Pep Boys continues to see improvements in their planning and decision-making processes.
- Dramatically improved performance
- The solution proved flexible enough to leverage the client’s business data models, security model, and business logic
- Quicker reports retrieval and export; manual processes eliminated
- Easy enterprise-wide administration
- Easy data refresh mechanism
- Easy data access control via row-level security
- Enhanced GUI to end users
- Advanced notification framework provided insight into data
- Over 60% performance improvements in reports retrieval
- User productivity increased by over 50% and response time decreased by 50%
- Increased user productivity